Recipe by grandma2969
this is a perfect dish for entertaining because it can be made several days in advance.after cooking in a spicy broth and slicing, the beef is glazed with a tomato-brown sugar sauce..any leftovers can be used in corned beef hash or sandwiches..
- 5 lbs piece corned beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium onion, cut in chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 orange, unpeeled, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large stockpot, combine all of the ingredients except the glaze and cover with warm water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 40 minutes per pound, approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- the meat should be tender, but not falling apart.
- remove the beef from the broth, cover and cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- when the meat is cold, slice it very thinly and place in a 9x13" serving dish.
- cover and refrigerate.
- to serve, preheat the oven to 350*.
- make the glaze by combining the chili sauce and water.
- pour just enough glaze over beef to moisten it well.it should not cover the meat entirely.
- sprinkle the brown sugar over the top and bake the beef, uncovered for 30 minutes -- or untl the meat is heated through and the sugar is a bit crackly.you may want to turn up the heat to broil for a minute or two to achieve this effect.