Entered for safe-keeping, per Reggie Dwork (bread-bakers), this is adapted from Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Grubart's "Southern Biscuits."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup aged irish cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup aged irish cheddar cheese, grated (for sprinkling on top of muffins)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter 12 standard muffin cups.
- 2Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and butter.
- 4Add buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined.
- 5Gently fold in 1 cup cheese and corn kernels.
- 6Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- 7Sprinkle tops with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 8Bake 15-17 minutes, until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 9Remove muffins from the tins and cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Corn Muffins With Irish Cheddar Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.3
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 398.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 7.0 g