Recipe by WiGal
My variation of a recipe from two people-MIL and Crescent Dragonwheel. It looks pretty and tastes zippy. I increased the chile powder after second review.
- 3 tablespoons onions, diced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, chunks (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs or 4 tablespoons cornmeal or 4 tablespoons buttery crackers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, mix together onion, tomato, cilantro, and chili powder, set aside.
- Spray three 8 oz. custard cups with cooking spray.
- Using a slotted spoon divide the tomato mixture equally between the custard cups.
- Put about 3 tablespoons of cheese atop each tomato mixture.
- Put egg in medium sized mixing bowl, lightly beat; stir in corn, milk, sugar, breadcrumbs or corn meal or buttery crackers, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Put corn mixture on top of the tomato mixture.
- Place filled custard cups on a large pan-just so it is easier to handle, place in oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, run table knife around sides, then carefully tip out of pan onto serving plate.