Recipe by Pomtini
This recipe is from Down Home with the Neelys. The best corn chowder I've ever had. Not too spicy, the kids loved it.
Top Review by Ma the meatloaf
I brought this to a soup cookoff at work and left with a first place ribbon and an empty crockpot! My family didn't want me to take it to work after taste testing it the night before. Will make over and over again!
- 4 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 medium vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped seeds and ribs removed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large red potatoes, well scrubbed and small diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute the bacon until crisp and browned and the fat is rendered. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel and reserve. There should be about 4 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan.
- Add the onions and red pepper to pan. Saute until tender and translucent, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the jalapeno and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour until thoroughly combined. Cook the flour until it reaches a slight blonde color, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock and the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes; potatoes will become soft.
- Add the cream, corn, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 more minutes. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with the reserved bacon.