Recipe by Tish
This Mexican flavored soup is a great on pot dish. You may want to add more heat with extra hot sauce or a chopped fresh chili.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 grated orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon other hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 (13 ounce) can creamed corn
- 4 ounces corn chips
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in sauce pan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring until soft.
- Stir in garlic and celery and cook, stirring, until celery is soft.
- Add orange zest and juice, Tabasco and tomatoes and simmer covered 20 minutes While soup is simmering, cook sausage in ungreased frying pan until lightly browned.
- Drain Blend or process tomato mixture until finely chopped.
- Stir in corn, return to pan and heat through Just before serving, spread corn chips in broiler pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler just until cheese melts Stir chorizo into soup and serve with corn chips.