Recipe by Skipper/Sy
This is one of my most favorite soups, wholesome and delicious! You can reduce the amount of spices to taste if you like. Or you can use less stock, add more cornstarch and make this recipe into a great "Spicy Cod Fish and Tofu Sauce"... and then served with white rice.
- 1 lb fresh cod, fillets cut into medium size pieces (scrod or haddock as a substitute)
- 4 ounces ground pork (or ground turkey, chicken, beef)
- 14 ounces tofu, soft, medium firm (not the very soft silken tofu)
- 6 cups chicken stock (or wonton soup powder)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped up
- 1 piece ginger, chopped up (small)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, in
- 3 tablespoons water, stir
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (tabasco sauce as a substitute)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 scallions, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 1/2 long pieces (can also add or substitute leek)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot add peanut oil, then garlic and ginger.
- Stir fry for about 15 seconds.
- Add ground meat and stir fry about 1 minute, then add soy sauce.
- Add soup stock, curry powder, cayenne pepper, sugar and heat to a simmer.
- Add fish and simmer for about 3-5 minutes (don't over cook the fish).
- Add tofu, rice wine and cook for about 2+ minutes.
- Then add cornstarch to thicken (stir carefully and making sure not to break up the fish or tofu) Add sesame oil and then scallions and one easy stir.
- Serve in individual soup bowls.
- "SPICY FISH SAUCE" (alternate recipe)- Reduce the stock to 3-4 cups, add about 2 or more tablespoons of cornstarch (for the thickness of the sauce you desire) and bring to a boil to thicken. Then serve on individual plates and with white rice.
- Finally, you can add more spices to taste -- Enjoy.