Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A different way to cook tofu with an exotic taste. This is a my variation of a recipe I found on allrecipes.com Serve with rice.
- 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package cut green beans
- 1 ounce fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- hot sauce
- Cut tofu into cubes and broil in toaster oven while preparing vegetables to firm it up.
- Heat oil in skillet, add onions and fry until they start to brown.
- Mix in garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin.
- Add mushrooms and peppers and stir.
- Microwave green beans in the bag for 5 min to thaw.
- Add coconut milk, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, brown sugar and hot sauce to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add in green beans, tofu and basil.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until green beans are cooked.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 Tbsp soy sauce and stir into pan.
- Heat until sauce thickens.
- Taste and add more soy sauce or hot sauce if necessary.
Pretty good, wasn't able to make it exactly as the recipe is written due to a lack of ingredients. I used 1/4 of an onion instead of the green, broccoli instead of green beans and left out the mushrooms.
Amazing! We made it for friends, and they loved it. We did not really use the cornstarch, we just let some of the liquid boil out. We also used fresh green beans and chili peppers. Be generous with the spices - it makes a big difference! It's even great the next day, once the sauce really absorbs into the veggies. Thanks!
Pretty tasty in the end though we added more of all the spices to suit our tastes. I liked that the tofu was broiled rather than fried. I used fresh greenbeans, no oil and low fat cocunut milk. Thanks for posting. This was tried for the vegetarian swap.