Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not hot spicy but spicy from the addition of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. A lovely Thai style dessert my family enjoys.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 300 ml cream (10 fl oz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped palm sugar
- 1 (280 ml) can coconut milk (9 oz)
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to warm 160C (315F).
- Put the spices, cream and 1 cup (250ml/8fl oz) water in a pan.
- Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to very low.
- Leave for 5 minutes to let the spices flavour the liquid.
- Add the sugar and coconut milk.
- Return to low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Pour the spiced mixture over the eggs and stir well.
- Strain- discard the whole spices.
- Pour the custard mixture into eight 1/2 cup dishes.
- Put the dishes in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes.
- Remove the custards from the pan and serve hot or chilled.
I have GOT to make this when I get back to the US!!!!!!!!!!! It is definitely "all me!" Thanks Jodie!
This was so rich and creamy. Everyone liked them.
Oh theis was soooo good. Not too anything. I would use less cloves & maybe add vanilla. It was easy & they came out perfect. I used 3 2c ramekins, lol, & they were just right after 1 hour. Silky....not too sweet - I used brown sugar - and just wonderful. Thank you. This would be a nice holiday dessert.