Recipe by Tea Jenny
This soup is a nice light with a bit of a bite, It's quick and can be on the table in no time. Posted for ZWT#6 2010
Top Review by Baby Kato
Delicous, delicious, delicious. We loved your soup, it was light and very delicious, we enjoyed the spiciness of the dish. It was a little difficult to find fresh coriander leaves but well worth the effort. I made exactly as written using the galangal and shrimp options. Thank you so much Tea Jenny for sharing this lovely recipe, which we will enjoy again and again.
- 1 liter thin coconut milk
- 750 ml chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 chicken stock cubes in 750ml boiling water
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- 1 cm gingerroot or 1 cm galangal, thinly sliced
- 3 bird's-eye chilies
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thick bottom part only, tough outer layers discarded
- 300 g fresh boneless chicken or 300 g seafood, sliced into thin strips
- 16 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 spring onions, cut into lengths, to serve
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat coconut milk and chicken stock in a stockpot over medium heat for 3 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Add the lime leaves, galangal, chillies and lemongrass.
- Stir in the chicken or seafood and mushrooms. Cook until the soup just begins to boil. Turn off heat. Add the lime juice and fish sauce. Mix well. Remove and serve hot, garnished with spring onions and coriander leaves.