Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy of the Hershey's Kitchen, with a couple of my personal additions. Don't be scared by the cocoa powder! It adds a nice richness to the sandwiches - but it doesn't make them taste like chocolate :) Use the smaller amount of chili powder for less spicy "joes" :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 -2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium heat until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat 15 minutes on low heat or until hot.
Me and my son enjoyed them. But DH didn't. I used a dark cocoa powder. I added more ketchup. So I didn't have to add water. The cocoa powder added a different taste. I was curious to try this recipe. Thanks flower :) Made for PAC Spring 2012
These were surprisingly good. The addition of the cocoa added an interesting dimension. As other reviewers have mentioned, the mixture was way too thick when made as written. I added half a can of tomato sauce and it was just right. This yummy recipe will be going in our supper rotation.
These turned out just OK for us. We also found the mixture to be extremely thick and needed thinning with a bit of water before serving. Thanks for sharing.