Recipe by flower7
Courtesy of the Hershey's Kitchen, with a couple of my personal additions. Don't be scared by the cocoa powder! It adds a nice richness to the sandwiches - but it doesn't make them taste like chocolate :) Use the smaller amount of chili powder for less spicy "joes" :)
Top Review by Boomette
Me and my son enjoyed them. But DH didn't. I used a dark cocoa powder. I added more ketchup. So I didn't have to add water. The cocoa powder added a different taste. I was curious to try this recipe. Thanks flower :) Made for PAC Spring 2012
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 -2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium heat until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat 15 minutes on low heat or until hot.