Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a very simple marinade.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place shrimp in large sealable plastic bag.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients.
- Pour over shrimp and seal bag.
- Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat barbeque grill on high heat.
- Remove shrimp from bag and pat dry.
- Lightly oil the grill and place shrimp directly on grill.
- Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
DH decided he wanted to grill shrimp and salmon in this grill session. We tried this recipe, and (as we grill at my parents' house) my mom said it was like eating popcorn! Two pounds of shrimp devoured by four people in a matter of minutes. The sugar and the natural sugars in the fruit juices added a nice caramelization to the shrimp. Awesome recipe and a keeper!
I was running late tonight, and made dinner long after dark, so instead of grilling outside as planned, I cooked these in a skillet on the stovetop. They were nice and light with a hint of citrus. I didn't really catch the "spicy" although I increased the red pepper flakes. I will marinate longer than 15 minutes next time, I think, and also grill them instead. I served these in soft tacos with Recipe #224408, a romaine lettuce leaf and diced avocado. Very, very yummy combination. Will make this again. Thanks!