Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This recipe isn't for the light hearted. It is packed with a punch from the spices used.
- 1 cup dry mixed beans
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, cut in bite size
- 3 stalks celery, cut in bite size
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 4 chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Rinse and pick through dry beans.
- Place in a medium saucepan covered with water 2 inches above dry beans.
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Let beans soak for 2 hours.
- Don't remove lid to saucepan.
- Drain and rinse.
- Can let them soak overnight in water.
- In the morning, just drain and rinse.
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine beans, stew meat, broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and onions.
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, oregano, mustard, hot sauce and quick cooking tapioca.
- Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.