Prep 15 mins
Cook 168 hrs
These are an easy icebox pickle that are spicy and sweet and stays crisp. Why are they called Christmas pickles? Because they are bright green or red!!! I usually make green and red to liven up the holiday relish tray. I also make these pickles without the food coloring and they are a family favorite throughout the year. I found the recipe years ago in a local electric co-op magazine.
- 1 gallon of whole dill pickle (I use Vlasic)
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 5 lbs granulated sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) bottle Tabasco sauce (regular)
- 1 (1 ounce) bottleliquid red food coloring (coloring is optional) or 1 (1 ounce) bottleliquid green food coloring (coloring is optional)
- Drain pickles and rinse gallon jar.
- Slice pickles into 3/4" or 1" rounds, drain again.
- Into jar layer sliced pickles, peeled garlic, and sugar; add NO liquid.
- Pour on the whole bottle of tabasco sauce, NOTE: I have used the 2oz size when I wanted a less spicy pickle and I think tabasco is the only brand of hot sauce to use in this recipe.
- Add bottle of red OR green food coloring if desired.
- Cap jar and shake.
- Store in icebox and shake it daily to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar.
- In about a week you will have brightly colored,spicy pickles!
- Note: as these marinate over the week they shrink, so the yield will be less than a gallon.
I have an old recipe for the same type pickle but it calls for a bag of cinnamon red hots candy in place of hot saice and not as much food coloring.You get a lot of the red color and the heat from the candy.Either way they are good and pretty.Thank you for this version Susie.
I just love trying recipes like this as you get to see the transformation as the days go by. I tried out the pickles yesterday and they are absolutely delicious. Just the right amount of sweet and heat. I'll be leaving them to continue their pickling process until I take them for Christmas Day snacks of dips, chips, sandwiches, etc. Somehow I think these pickles will be the highlight of the day. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.
This is at the infusing point so I`ll be back with a review soon.
OMG! These are great and easy! I always make my Recipe #441974
Which is close to this! But If you are short on jalapenos this is great!!! I always have hot sauce so this is my way to make these from now on. I do need to state that I did use a lot less sugar place 1 cup sugar, the whole amount hot sauce, and garlic too 1/4 amount of pickles. Just Loved these!!!!!!!! And my DH loved them even more! Oh Of course with Garlic so yummy!!!!!