These are an easy icebox pickle that are spicy and sweet and stays crisp. Why are they called Christmas pickles? Because they are bright green or red!!! I usually make green and red to liven up the holiday relish tray. I also make these pickles without the food coloring and they are a family favorite throughout the year. I found the recipe years ago in a local electric co-op magazine.
- Drain pickles and rinse gallon jar.
- Slice pickles into 3/4" or 1" rounds, drain again.
- Into jar layer sliced pickles, peeled garlic, and sugar; add NO liquid.
- Pour on the whole bottle of tabasco sauce, NOTE: I have used the 2oz size when I wanted a less spicy pickle and I think tabasco is the only brand of hot sauce to use in this recipe.
- Add bottle of red OR green food coloring if desired.
- Cap jar and shake.
- Store in icebox and shake it daily to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar.
- In about a week you will have brightly colored,spicy pickles!
- Note: as these marinate over the week they shrink, so the yield will be less than a gallon.