Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make this piqucante pasta dish tonight using chorizo, tomatoes, chili and red wine to name but a few ingredients! Perfect for a cosy night in with a glass of red wine!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 chorizo sausages, raw, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 2 ounces sun-blushed tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted for 20 minutes
- 9 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the onion and chili and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chorizo and cook for a further five minutes, or until golden brown all over.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, apart from the pasta. Bring the to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, stir the pasta into the sausage mixture, then pour onto a serving plate and garnish with fresh basil.
This is 100% KICK BUTT AWESOME!! I was debating between this and another recipe, chose this one.... and SO glad I did! Unfortunately, I didn't have any sun-blushed tomatoes, so I used some home oven-dried ones that I reconstituted in the microwave. Added the tomato water with the tomatoes. EXCELLENT!!... (and don't skip the step of roasting the garlic, it adds so much dimension to this dish!!
I made this dish a few days ago. I followed the recipe almost exactly (maybe added a little extra garlic - I tend to). My girlfriend and I loved this dish, and I'm making it again tonight for some friends. I used grocery-shelf ingredients (red cooking wine, sausage, sun-blushed tomatoes from a jar, etc.), and it turned out wonderfully. Very highly recommended!
This was a nice change of pace from Italian sausage and tomato sauce. I wasn't sure what a "sun blushed tomato" was so I used three roma tomatoes diced. I liked it more than my husband, but since I'm the poster, hee hee, I gladly give this five stars.