Recipe by YummySmellsca
This Christmas cake (originally from Sienna) has a chewy, almost taffy-like texture which comed from melted chocolate, sugar, honey and (my secret ingredient) melted Tootsie Rolls. A hefty dose of cocoa powder, mincemeat, nuts and seeds gives this a flavour that's hard to resist! I suggest serving this as part of an aged cheese and cracker plate, especially at the holidays. Adapted from gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-day-panforte-and-more.html/
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml honey
- 50 g butter
- 100 g miniature Tootsie Rolls
- 70 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 300 g mincemeat (I used " All In" Meatless Mincemeat)
- 236.59 ml flour
- 158.51 ml ground almonds
- 236.59 ml cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml pumpkin pie spice
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 300 g mixed nuts (and or or seeds, I used almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds)
- 50 g chopped dried figs
- 50 g chopped dried apricots
- 0.25 ml salt
- icing sugar, to dust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 320°F and line a 9" square pan with parchment.
- Stir sugar, honey, butter, Tootsie Rolls, chocolate and mincemeat in a pan over low heat for 3-5 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Sift flour, ground almonds, cocoa and spices into a large bowl.
- Add zest, nuts, figs, apricots, salt and mince mixture.
- Stir to combine well – it will be quite stiff.
- Press into the prepared pan (I like placing a piece of parchment or cling wrap on the surface and using a second pan to press it evenly).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and dull-looking on top.
- Cool in pan, then invert onto a board and dust with icing sugar.
- Cut into 36 pieces.
- Wrap well in plastic and age at room temperature for 1 day, then transfer to an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.