1/3 Photos of Spicy Chocolate Panforte
1 hr 10 mins
This Christmas cake (originally from Sienna) has a chewy, almost taffy-like texture which comed from melted chocolate, sugar, honey and (my secret ingredient) melted Tootsie Rolls. A hefty dose of cocoa powder, mincemeat, nuts and seeds gives this a flavour that's hard to resist! I suggest serving this as part of an aged cheese and cracker plate, especially at the holidays. Adapted from gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-day-panforte-and-more.html/
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 50 g butter
- 100 g miniature Tootsie Rolls
- 70 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 300 g mincemeat (I used " All In" Meatless Mincemeat)
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 300 g mixed nuts (and or or seeds, I used almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds)
- 50 g chopped dried figs
- 50 g chopped dried apricots
- 1 pinch salt
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 320°F and line a 9" square pan with parchment.
- 2Stir sugar, honey, butter, Tootsie Rolls, chocolate and mincemeat in a pan over low heat for 3-5 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- 3Sift flour, ground almonds, cocoa and spices into a large bowl.
- 4Add zest, nuts, figs, apricots, salt and mince mixture.
- 5Stir to combine well – it will be quite stiff.
- 6Press into the prepared pan (I like placing a piece of parchment or cling wrap on the surface and using a second pan to press it evenly).
- 7Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and dull-looking on top.
- 8Cool in pan, then invert onto a board and dust with icing sugar.
- 9Cut into 36 pieces.
- 10Wrap well in plastic and age at room temperature for 1 day, then transfer to an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chocolate Panforte
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.1
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 214.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of