Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a friend's recipe...spicy chocolate goodness!
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter or 1⁄2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the topping ingredients together on a flat plate. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to vigorously mix together butter, sugar, honey, and milk. Mix in vanilla.
- Sift in remaining ingredients, stirring as you add them. Once all ingredients are added, mix until you’ve got a pliable dough.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls (if you're measuring, 18g balls). Pat into the sugar topping to flatten into roughly 2 inch discs. Transfer to baking sheet, sugar side up, at least 2 inches apart (they spread).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, removing from oven once they are a bit spread and crackly on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.