Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 mins
Kicked up chocolate chip cookies with the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cooking time is per batch. These are so good!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix together first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugars and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture slowly and beat well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts by hand.
- Drop dough by tablespoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or just until cookies brown.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for two minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
These were WONDERFUL! I made some changes as the spices didn't come through enough. I used 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 + 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 + 1/8 tsp cloves. I also substituted the shortening with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce + 1/2 cup butter. Then, instead of 2 cups choc chips I used 1 cup mini chocolate chips. I also left out the walnuts. Thank you so much for this recipe! It gave the exact "kick" that chocolate chip cookies needed.