Recipe by Marie
Kicked up chocolate chip cookies with the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cooking time is per batch. These are so good!
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
These were WONDERFUL! I made some changes as the spices didn't come through enough. I used 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 + 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 + 1/8 tsp cloves. I also substituted the shortening with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce + 1/2 cup butter. Then, instead of 2 cups choc chips I used 1 cup mini chocolate chips. I also left out the walnuts. Thank you so much for this recipe! It gave the exact "kick" that chocolate chip cookies needed.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix together first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- Cream shortening, sugars and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture slowly and beat well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts by hand.
- Drop dough by tablespoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or just until cookies brown.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for two minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.