Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Looking for something a little different this Thanksgiving? Here's a nice way to liven up your menu or to ensure that you aren't the fifth person to bring candied yams to that family dinner.
- 3 large sweet potatoes or 3 large yams
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (more or less to taste- but be warned, ground chipotle is hot)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes.
- Cut each sweet potato into bite-sized chunks (make each piece roughly about an inch).
- Add the sweet potato pieces, the extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, and chipotle to a gallon-sized storage bag.
- Close the storage bag and shake, making sure all of the spices are evenly distributed on the pieces (otherwise you might find out what happens when too much chipotle sticks to an individual piece).
- Spread out the spiced sweet potato pieces in an even layer onto a baking sheet.
- Salt to taste.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes, then using a spatula to turn them, place them back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. If you like them crisper, you can add a few minutes, just make sure to check on them so they don't burn. Serve them as they are, or you can dip them in ketchup like french fries.
Not Just for Thanksgiving.
I really wanted to try this recipe, but a 450* oven is incompatible with 97* weather, so I skillet roasted them instead of oven roasting. Extra virgin coconut oil is my oil of choice, so I used that instead of EVOO. Here is what I did: I parboiled the cut-up potatoes for about 15 minutes in a small amout of water in a covered skillet. When the potatoes were almost tender, I drained whatever water was left and added the oil and spices to the skillet. I tossed everything together to coat the potatoes and continued cooking for about another 15 minutes. They turned out great, and the combination of cinnamon and chipotle works! I am sure that oven roasting gives a deeper,richer flavor and I will be making this in the oven when the weather cools. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
These are so wonderful! Did not change anything, no need to mess with perfection! I make these at least twice a week and have since January. My DH loves them especially with fish. Thank you for posting such a great, yet simple recipe. Deserves more than 5 stars!
These are great!