Recipe by ScrappieDoo
The nice smokey chipotle flavor comes through in this spicy soup. Serve with a squeeze of lime for some added tang. Even better the next day!
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed dried jalapeno pepper (may be left out)
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of cool water. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a stock pot and cook the onion and celery for 3-4 minutes on medium. Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- Add the beans to the pot, followed by the chipotle powder, cumin, jalapeno flakes, salt and pepper.
- Pour in 5 cups of water and the bouillon cubes.
- Simmer 2 hours on low.
- Remove about half of soup to blender (or use hand blender) and process. Return to pot. Continue cooking an additional 30 mins to thicken. Sprinkle with cilantro flakes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with some shredded cheese and a lime wedge.