Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easy to prepare and has a spicy but slightly sweet flavor. Prepare part of this ahead if you like, it tastes even better if it marinates in the sauce overnight. Just set it to cook the next day.
- 3⁄4 cup condensed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 -3 serrano peppers or 1 -3 Thai chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 3 lbs bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- hot cooked rice (I like jasmine)
- Stir together chicken broth, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar and soy sauce until mixture combines and sugar dissolves.
- Stir garlic, ginger, chopped chiles and peppercorns into mixture.
- Place chicken in crockpot and cover with chopped bell peppers and scallions.
- Pour sauce over all.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crockpot, and keep warm.
- Mix cornstarch with 2-3 tbsp of cold water and add to sauce in crockpot, stirring to mix.
- Set crockpot on high, and cook for 15 minutes or so, or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- May reheat chicken in crockpot (on low setting) if needed.
- Serve chicken with hot cooked rice, if desired.