Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Eat Better America. Sounds really good. Have to try this soon.
Make and share this Spicy Chilli Bean Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1 (16 ounce) can beans in chili sauce (undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped, 4 medium)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 5 hamburger buns (split)
- 1 1⁄4 cups baby spinach leaves (washed fresh)
- 5 slices tomatoes
- Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet.
- In medium bowl, mash beans with fork until no whole beans remain. Add cereal, oats, onions and egg; mix well. Shape mixture into 5 patties, each about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add patties; cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- For each sandwich, place 1/4 cup spinach leaves and 1 tomato slice on bottom half of bun; top with bean burger and top half of bun.
Great base for a veggie burger. I think next time I will go with spicier chili beans (I used mild, unsure of how they would turn out) to add an extra kick, and probably sample adding other veggies like the previous reviewer did for some extra flavor. I added some pepperjack cheese to mine, as I was eating it without the bun, and that was also a lovely addition. Thanks for sharing!
These were OUTSTANDING MsSally!! My parents are demi-vegetarians, so I tagged this recipe as soon as I saw it, and I made these for a lovely supper whilst staying with them in England! I also added a grated carrot and some sweetcorn that we had left over. I used watercress instead of spinach leaves, as they were in season here in the UK. A dollop of low-fat mayonnaise on top of each burger completed this delicious supper, and we used local sunflower oil bread buns - amazing! Made for Photo Swap 2008 - my parents have saved this recipe! Thanks! FT:-)