Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple & fast tagine for Vegetarians. The chickpeas offer a good source of protein. Serve with Authentic Moroccan Bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon harissa (cayenne pepper can be substituted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- Pour the oil into a tagine (or shallow casserole) & cook the onions for several minutes.
- Next place all the rest of the ingredients in with the onions & stir. Cover & cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with thick bread.
My friend and I enjoyed this easy to prep and flavorful tagine for dinner last night. I used my tagine pot to make this on the stovetop, which was fun. We served in bowls with Trader Joe's garlic naan bread, which we dipped into the tagine. We enjoyed this and would have it again. Made for Sun and Spice 2013.
Loved how quick and easy this is to put together. The flavors all come together well, and love having a vegetarian option for a tagine. Thanks for sharing!
What a gorgeous recipe! I love the intricate flavours, and simplicity to prepare! This will be a fantastic dinner tonight, served with recipe #270882! I didn't have harrissa, so I subbed with Sanaam Chili, of which I used a heaping 1/4 tsp. Yum! Made for 1-2-3 Hits! Thanks, Nasseh!