Recipe by brunettebaker
Food and Wine March 2008 Fiber packed, Indian flavored creamy soup
Top Review by BettyBaker1
This is a great-tasting soup but needs a bit more mid-eastern flavor so I added 2 garlic cloves to the blender ingredients. I also saved some of the chickpeas and added to the soup after it was all blended up, just to give it some 'chew-ability'. Definitely will make again!
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice, naturally sweetened
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 scallions, green parts only and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, combine drained chickpeas with coconut milk, tomatoes, apple juice, cilantro, garam masala and ginger. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer puree to medium saucepan. Stir in chicken broth and bring to simmer over moderately high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls, top with yogurt and sprinkle with scallion greens.
- Goes great with Crispy Seeded Pita Chips.