Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just saw a picture of this in Rachel Ray's new magazine, but I couldn't find the recipe in there. I guess somebody made an OOPS. So I Googled it and did find it on her magazine's website. This looks really good! I put garbanzos on my shopping list for this week!
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 cup golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In medium bowl mix together curry powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Add chickpeas and toss to coat.
- Bake the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until crunchy, about 60 minutes.
- Cool chickpeas thoroughly and then toss with zest and raisins.
I enjoyed trying these out today - some got a bit singed - my fault for walking the dog whilst they were in the oven - the unsinged ones were great !
I loved the sweet, spicy salty contrasts in this and the orange zest really makes it special. The only thing that didn't quite do it for me was the chickpeas...they just ended up hard and unpleasant. I followed the directions exactly but used wax paper and I think it is important to stir them about every 15 minutes so they don't burn...which I did. A lower heat may do the trick. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
This was a great snack! Made half a recipe and did add a lot of orange zest. Next time though, I would lower the oven to 300 or put them in for a little less time as some of the chickpeas burnt. Nonetheless, the taste was great (I even ate those burnt ones!! :) ) thanks Chef PotPie!