Recipe by dicentra
Sunset, MARCH 2009. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but it's for the whole sandwich and salad, not just the patties.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Spicy lemon mayo
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 finely shredded zest and lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots (2/3 lb.)
- 1 cup shredded radish
Cooking and assembly
- 6 ciabatta (3 oz. each) or 6 pane francese rolls (3 oz. each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- about 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 ounces mixed salad greens (5 cups lightly packed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make chickpea patties: In a 3- to 4-qt. pan, mix chickpea flour and dry seasonings.
- Gradually whisk in 2 1/2 cups water until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes. Switch to a spoon and stir until mixture pulls away from pan bottom and mounds in center of pan, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in parsley. Using an oiled spoon or fingers, evenly spread mixture in an oiled 9- by 13-in. pan. Let cool.
- Make mayo: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Chill, covered.
- Make slaw: Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, then gently stir in carrots and radishes.
- Now for the sandwiches! Preheat broiler and set a rack 4 inches from heat.
- Split rolls, leaving one side attached, and open up. Place rolls cut side up in a large rimmed baking pan; lightly brush tops with 1 tablespoons olive oil. Broil until golden, about 1 minute. Tip onto counter and drape with foil.
- Oil the baking pan. Brush chickpea mixture with 1 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with salt.
- Cut into 12 rectangles and set slightly apart in oiled pan. Broil until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn patties over and broil until golden on second side, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, generously spread mayo on cut sides of rolls. Place some salad greens on one side of each roll and top with some carrot slaw, then 2 chickpea patties.