1/1 Photo of Spicy Chickpea Samosas With Raita
I highly recommend making the samosa filling the morning or night before serving to save time when you actually prepare this meal. Adapted from Cooking Light. This says it serves 12, but if you have teenage boys or people with heartier appetites, they will probably want two each.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced peeled
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (14 x 9-inch)
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1To make samosas, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrot; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2Add 1/2 cup onions, ginger, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Add peas, water, and chickpeas; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and juice. Cool.
- 5Preheat oven to 400°.
- 6Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying); coat with cooking spray. Place another phyllo sheet on coated phyllo; coat with cooking spray. Fold layered sheets in half lengthwise.
- 7Spoon 2 tablespoons filling onto bottom end of rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to end of phyllo strip. Tuck edges under; place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with melted butter.
- 8Repeat procedure with remaining 22 phyllo sheets, cooking spray, filling, and butter. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- 9To make raita, combine yogurt and remaining ingredients. Serve with samosas.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chickpea Samosas With Raita
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 492.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: