This is my own creation, I LOVE chickpeas, but I like them spicy hot. So, before you make this recipe, remember we all have different tastes! This is a VERY adaptable recipe, you can add what you want, adjust the heat level, decrease the salad dressing, you name it, this is a very flexible recipe! I serve this over hot toasted pita bread, or just as a side dish. I've replaced the asparagus with sliced zucchini, little broccoli florets, whatever is in the fridge... Note that preparation time does not include the 1 hour resting time in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh jalapeno, minced (I often use more!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh is a must)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can of chopped black olives (depending upon taste, you may want to use 1/2 can)
- 1/8 cup diced red onion
- 1 green onions or 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 asparagus spears (tips only)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup of newman's own family recipe Italian dressing or 1/4-1/2 cup your own italian vinaigrette, I interchange depending upon my time
- 1Drain and rinse (well) the Chickpeas.
- 2Place Chickpeas in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well.
- 4Let set for an hour to allow flavors to blend.
- 5Serve nice and cold with some hot Pita bread or just as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chickpea Salad
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 853.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g