Recipe by Samira SHF
This recipe is a the product of a trial and error development of my own. Middle Eastern food like falafel is the inspiration. I hope you enjoy them. They can be served cold with salad or warm with stir-fry vegetables. Also good served on their own as a snack or dipped in your favourite sauce. To add your own personal touch you could experiment with your favourite herb & spice blends. Freezes well for three months. Preparation time excludes time used to soak chickpeas. If desired you can omit the 150 g water and the bouillon granules or powder and replace with 150 ml stock liquid. Italian herbs are a blend of marjoram, basil, red bell peppers, oregano, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
- 150 g dried garbanzo beans
- 3 medium onions
- 150 ml cold water
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons instant bouillon granules (vegetable or chicken flavour as desired)
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cardamom pod (seeds only)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander
- 5 garlic cloves
- 50 g tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chickpeas and pick over to remove foreign matter and discoloured chickpeas.
- Soak chickpeas in water for at least 4 hours (or overnight if possible).
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mortar & pestle and grind until well blended.
- Add fresh herbs to mortar and grind well.
- Add tomato paste and oil to mortar and mix well.
- Wash and drain chickpeas and place in food processor with onions and 150mls of cold water (or stock). Blend until well crushed but not to a paste.
- Add herb and spice mixture to processor and blend with chickpea mixture.
- Transfer chickpea mixture to a bowl and add eggs and grated parmesan cheese and mix well (beat eggs lightly before mixing through).
- Add flour and mix through until the mixture is thick but can still fall off the spoon (slightly runny). Then stand for about 30 minutes so flavours blend together.
- Spray frying pan with cooking oil and heat to medium heat.
- Place dollops of the mixture into the frying pan and cook both sides until golden, turning once only. (Cook in batches ensuring pan is wiped and re oiled between batches).
- For vegetarian use vegetable bouillon only or a vegetarian fake chicken flavor only.