Recipe by KelBel
Quick vegetarian soup that uses ingredients that I have on hand all of the time. Serve with bread.
Top Review by Blue Chickpea
I really loved this. Substitutions: I used dried chickpeas that I cooked from scratch instead of canned, and I added more salt. The diced tomatoes were sodium free so I think it evened out. I also ground some Ecuadorian black pepper over this before serving to add extra kick, because I didn't find it very spicy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, rosemary, red pepper and salt. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup to partial puree. (basically, puree until as smooth or chunky as you like). You can also add about 1 cup to a blender and puree then add back to pan.
- Add spinach, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.