Recipe by Lainey39
In the spring and summertime, I love grilling. This is one of my favorite meals with two of my favorite foods: chicken and pineapple. The total time includes 8 hours for the chicken to marinate.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
I love pineapple and chicken, so this is a great combination for me! The marinade is really good - and I didn't even let it sit long enough - next time I will, but it was good anyway. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 fresh pineapple, about 4 pounds
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
For sauce or marinade
- 8 scallions, chopped (plus 1/4 cup dark-green 2-inch-long thin strips for garnish)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (plus additional for grill)
- 1 habaneros or 1 jalapeno chile, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- To make sauce/marinade: Place all marinade ingredients, except scallion garnish, in a food processor and puree until almost smooth.
- Transfer half of puree to a small bowl and keep chilled, covered, for sauce.
- Place remaining puree in a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag with chicken and seal, turning to coat well.
- Marinate, chilled, turning bag occasionally, at least 8 hours or overnight, placing bag in a large bowl to catch any leaks.
- Preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- Let chicken stand in marinade at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.
- Meanwhile, cut sides and ends off pineapple.
- Cut crosswise into 15 slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle one side of each slice with 1/2 t packed light brown sugar.
- Place sugared side down on rack and grill, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter, alternating slices with scallion garnish.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through 35-45 minutes, depending on size.
- Transfer to platter with pineapple and serve with remaining sauce on side (excercise caution; sauce is spicy).