1/3 Photos of Spicy Chicken With Grilled Pineapple
8 hrs 25 mins
In the spring and summertime, I love grilling. This is one of my favorite meals with two of my favorite foods: chicken and pineapple. The total time includes 8 hours for the chicken to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken parts (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 fresh pineapple, about 4 pounds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
For sauce or marinade
- 8 scallions, chopped (plus 1/4 cup dark-green 2-inch-long thin strips for garnish)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (plus additional for grill)
- 1 habaneros or 1 jalapeno chile, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1To make sauce/marinade: Place all marinade ingredients, except scallion garnish, in a food processor and puree until almost smooth.
- 2Transfer half of puree to a small bowl and keep chilled, covered, for sauce.
- 3Place remaining puree in a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag with chicken and seal, turning to coat well.
- 4Marinate, chilled, turning bag occasionally, at least 8 hours or overnight, placing bag in a large bowl to catch any leaks.
- 5Preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- 6Let chicken stand in marinade at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.
- 7Meanwhile, cut sides and ends off pineapple.
- 8Cut crosswise into 15 slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- 9Sprinkle one side of each slice with 1/2 t packed light brown sugar.
- 10Place sugared side down on rack and grill, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 11Transfer to a platter, alternating slices with scallion garnish.
- 12Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through 35-45 minutes, depending on size.
- 13Transfer to platter with pineapple and serve with remaining sauce on side (excercise caution; sauce is spicy).
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chicken With Grilled Pineapple
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.5
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 205.5 mg
- Sodium 401.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 65.3 g