Recipe by tropicasual
They freeze and oven reheat better than the frozen commercial boxed, but best when fresh. This is an original recipe. Feel free to add to it. The key ingredients are the Wondra flour and the buttermilk.
Top Review by Stacygirly
I was looking for something spicy to make using chicken wings, and these fit the bill. Lots of great flavors going on here. My friends and I pigged out on them and everyone enjoyed! Will make again sometime when I'm in the mood. Thanks Tropicasual!
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Wondra Flour
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 16 ounces buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 packages instant chicken broth (Wylers)
Deep Fryer Ingredients
- peanut oil (to fryer specification)
Directions See How It's Made
- Desegment chicken wings at the joints discarding the tips.
- Place the wings in a large plastic bag.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and dry marinade ingredients whisking together.
- Pour marinade over the wings and marinate for 4 hours.
- For the breading, sift the ingredients in a large bowl breaking up any lumps and mixing well.
- Five minutes prior to frying, start to bread the wings using the two-hand method, one hand for wet and one hand dry.
- Place the coated wings on a platter allowing the marinade to soak through the breading.
- Prior to placing in the fryer dip the wings in the remaining marinade and bread.
- Place in fryer and fry until breading is dark, crispy, and chicken is done.