I have had a great tortilla soup at one of my favorite restaurants, and I combined a few recipes to make one of my own!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I like it spicy!) (optional)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 1⁄2 ounces cans corn, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbell Fiesta nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, to taste
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 -5 corn tortillas
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil.
- Cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until translucent (be careful not to burn garlic).
- Add soup, mix together until smooth.
- Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes, beans, corn, and spices.
- Stir to mix.
- In a skillet or grill pan, cook chicken breasts until done, then dice.
- Add chicken to soup and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into strips or triangles, place in a baking dish and bake at 350 until brittle (approx. 10 minutes, but be careful not to burn!).
- Remove from oven (can dust with seasoning if desired).
- Serve soup garnished with tortilla strips.