Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have had a great tortilla soup at one of my favorite restaurants, and I combined a few recipes to make one of my own!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I like it spicy!) (optional)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 1⁄2 ounces cans corn, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbell Fiesta nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, to taste
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 -5 corn tortillas
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil.
- Cook onion and garlic for a few minutes until translucent (be careful not to burn garlic).
- Add soup, mix together until smooth.
- Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes, beans, corn, and spices.
- Stir to mix.
- In a skillet or grill pan, cook chicken breasts until done, then dice.
- Add chicken to soup and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into strips or triangles, place in a baking dish and bake at 350 until brittle (approx. 10 minutes, but be careful not to burn!).
- Remove from oven (can dust with seasoning if desired).
- Serve soup garnished with tortilla strips.
Awesome dish! I added a little bit of fajita seasoning to add a little extra flavor but overall, very easy and very good!
We love this recipe! It is a regular item on our menu. We skip the salt and only use no salt added beans and corn. Even then, it is plenty salty.
Excellent recipe. Simple to make, the family loved it! Perfect balance of spice and very flavorful.