Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This always makes my mouth water and my friends love this chicken gravy. It can be eaten with bread, rice, chappatis.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 chicken, skinned and cut
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 medium potato, skinned and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cream (to garnish)
- Wash the chicken well and with a knife slash the chicken flesh a little to enable to juices to penetrate.
- In a bowl mix, chicken, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, lime juice, yoghurt and set aside. You can choose to set aside this mixture for about 1 hour to enable better flavoring.
- In a deep vessel / casserole vessel heat the oil and mustard seeds on medium flame.
- Add onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and stir a little.
- Next add the cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomato smell disappears and then mash the tomatoes with your stirring spoon.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture to this mixture and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and stir again for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and stir again.
- Close the lid and let it simmer till the chicken is done.
- When chicken is done check the salt content and add a bit more salt as per taste.
- You can also add additional chili powder if you would like it spicy.
- When serving you can garnish this with a tsp of cream drizzled on top.
I was always worried that my Chicken gravy does'nt turn thick, but i tried this and found very thick and professional. Thanks a lot. :-)
Excellent! I'm always looking for different ways to make chicken curries. I used a little extra yogurt and added more than a tbsp of cream at the end instead of using it as a garnish. I made this 2 days ago and plan on making it again tomorrow for dinner guests!
This was great! Very tasty. The tablespoon of chili powder makes it spicy but not too spicy if you're used to spicy food. That seemed like a lot but it was OK. Very yummy!!