This is a delightful soup ,creamy with coconut milk and fragrant with the elusive flavor of lemongrass.I got hold of the recipe years ago from a thai lady who was offering cooking classes for the expat wives .Even my little one eats this without complaining.
- 400 g chicken breasts, sliced into strips seasoned with
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 (400 g) can button mushrooms
- 1 cup good chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (200 ml) can coconut milk, diluted to give 4 cups
- 6 birds eye chiles, bruised
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 sprig coriander leaves
- Place stock in a pot and add lemon grass,kaffir lime leaves,and onions.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms,chicken,lime juice,fish sauce,sugar and salt.
- Cook slowly uncovered for 10 minutes then add coconut milk and chillies.
- Bring to almost a boil,stirring frequently,then remove from heat and serve,garnishing with the coriander sprigs.