Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from Cooking Light magazine. This is a wonderful fall soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups red bell peppers, strips
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, 1 inch julienne-cut
- 1⁄3 cup diced seeded anaheim chili
- 2 tablespoons diced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups vegetable juice
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 plum tomatoes, each cut onto eight wedges
- 3 cups drained canned navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and next 4 ingredients (onion through garlic); sauté 4 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Stir in chicken and orange juice; bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the liquid is almost evaporated, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 can broth; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the bell pepper, carrot, Anaheim chile, jalapeno, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Set aside.
- Combine remaining 3 cans broth, cabbage, vegetable juice, rice, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and tomatoes in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add chicken mixture and beans; cook an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream.