Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From April 2010 Cooking Light
Make and share this Spicy Chicken Shawarma recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 tablespoons plain low-fat Greek yogurt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 lb chicken breast halve, boneless, skinless, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 4 (6 inch) pita bread, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1⁄4 cup prechopped red onion
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon yogurt, 1 tablespoon juice, and 2 garlic cloves. Add chicken; toss to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until browned and done, stirring frequently.
- While chicken cooks, combine remaining 1/4 cup yogurt, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, remaining 1 garlic clove, and tahini, stirring well. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons tahini mixture inside each pita half; divide chicken evenly among pita halves. Fill each pita half with 1 tablespoon cucumber, 1 tablespoon tomato, and 1 1/2 teaspoons onion.
Delicious! I don't like raw garlic so I skipped adding any to the sauce and just put it all in with the chicken. I think I will double the sauce next time, it was so good. The chicken had lots of flavor - a quick and easy enough meal.
Awesome! I was looking to see if I needed to post this and you have me covered. We made these last night using Whole-Wheat Pitas and they were delicious! I will make this again for sure.
We love this! I add more crushed red pepper, grill the chicken and double the sauce. (we are sauce freaks.) Thanks for posting, Lakerdog.