Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Vietnamese use of fresh herbs, hot chiles, pickled vegetables, and a zesty dressing. This recipe refers to Pickled Carrot & Radishes, which makes 2 cups. Only 1/2 cup is needed here. (Eating Well, Summer 2003)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 (12 inch) baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, thingly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chicken, thinly sliced
- 1 shallots or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and finely chopped (1 Tbsp)
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro or 2 sprigs basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise (or Ginger-Miso Tofu Dressing)
- Make "Pickled Carrot & Radish" (2 hrs & 20 min).
- Combine lime juice and fish sauce in a small bowl.
- On the bottom half of baguette, put two layers of cucumber slices.
- Then Pickled Carrot & Radish.
- Then chicken slices.
- Sprinkle with shallot and chiles.
- Dribble fish sauce mixture.
- Top with cilantro.
- On the top half of the baguette, spread mayo.
- Replace the top and cut into two 6-inch sandwiches.
These are very fresh tasting, light and yummy. Just like the Vietnamese rolls served at our local chinese bakery (except our bakery also adds a layer of pate). Perfect for our hot weather picnic. Instead of chicken I used chinese BBQ pork and I also added some mint leaves. You definitely must serve this with Pickled Carrot & Radish Pickled Carrot & Radish which does needs 2 hours to marinate. Thanks for posting a fabulous recipe.