Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not your usual chicken salad, the habanero and lemon give it a nice kick. If you like you can poach or grill the chicken. I have tried both and it's delicious either way. On days when it's just too hectic, I have purchased a rotisserie chicken and just shredded the meat, great time saver. Enjoy!!
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 whole habanero pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 -4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 8 slices French bread or 8 slices ciabatta
- 1 bunch watercress, rinsed and dried
- Place lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from the stove and let cool.
- Place lemon syrup, habanero, lemon zest, and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a large bowl. Add the onions, celery, and parsley and set aside.
- Add the diced or shredded chicken to the mayonnaise mixture and gently mix until combined. Divide the chicken salad among 4 slices of bread. Top the salad with a few sprigs of watercress and top with the remaining bread.
I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. A little spicy for me but the flavors were great. I put the salad on foccacia rolls and it made a great lunch. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.