Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my take on the Shredded Mexican Chicken Shredded Mexican Chicken and made quesadillas from it; my husband and I loved it!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (add more if you like it hot) or 1 teaspoon taco sauce (add more if you like it hot)
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a pot, bring oregano, bay leaves, chicken broth, peppers, onion, and garlic to boil.
- Add chicken, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for about 1/2 hour until chicken is cooked. Be sure to submerge the chicken in soup base as completely as possible or occasionally turn the chicken in pot.
- Remove chicken and place into a large bowl until it is cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine chili powder, salsa, cumin, and hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Shred chicken with two forks or with gloved hands (I find the latter easier to do).
- Add the sauce mixture to the chicken and mix thoroughly (again, using a gloved hand works best). Add 1-2 tablespoons of the soup base for flavor and to keep chicken moist.
- Heat a fry pan or skillet with olive oil.
- Heat a tortilla on one side for about a minute and flip over.
- Place shredded chicken on half of the tortilla, evenly spreading it out.
- Sprinkle cheese over it, evenly spreading it out, as little or as much as you want!
- Fold tortilla over and press down. Heat on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Then, flip on other side and repeat.