Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve these tasty finger rolls as appetizers or snacks; they can be made ahead of time and then baked just before serving.
- 3 cups broth or 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sour cream (non fat is fine)
- 3 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets, but into 11 " x 26-inch rectangles, stacked between 2 sheets of wax paper and covered with a dampene
- salsa, your favorite
- Bring broth or water to a boil and add chicken breasts in one layer.
- Reduce heat and poach chicken at a bare simmer for 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and cool chicken in poaching liquid for 20 minutes.
- (You can use cooked, left over chicken just as well.).
- Cut chicken into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, sour cream, scallions, lime juice, jalapeno, cumin and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill filling, covered, at least 2 and up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- On a work furface, arrange 1 phyllo rectangle with short side facing you and lightly brush with egg wash.
- Put 1 heaping tablespoon filling in center of lower third of rectangle and fold long sides of phyllo over filling to cover.
- Lightly brush folded phyllo with egg wash and roll up egg roll fashion.
- Make more rolls with remaining phyllo and filling, brushing with egg wash in the same manner.
- Arrange rolls, seam side down, on baking sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with salsa.
MMMM! Loved these, I made them for a party, & forgot the salsa, but it was still a hit. Thanks for posting!
Absolutely outstanding! These are right up my alley, I love phyllo. I made these as a trial run, I just had a feeling they would be very good! I am making more to serve at the Super Bowl game get together! Thanks for a wonderful recipe Geema! EVERYONE, TRY THESE!...Kitten:)