Recipe by Hey Jude
I like this spicy so I usually add more red pepper, if you don't like spicy stuff, replace the red pepper with black pepper, or leave it out (but it won't be as good). This is another great recipe from the Chicago Tribune Good Eating section.
Top Review by Narshmellow
I used all the ingredients in the recipe with the addition of using 1/2 parmesan and 1/2 romano cheese. I did cut up the chicken to bite sized pieces and I used spinach out of my garden instead of frozen. This got thumbs up from everyone, I note we did all take bites of this and another bite of cantaloupe to cool the mouth down. It was creamy, cheesy and spicy. We loved it! I think next time I will halve the amount of red pepper so we can eat it on its own. Thanks for the excellent recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream or 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth, boiled down to 1/2 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed,squeezed gently
- 1⁄2 lb dried linguine or 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (please don't use the stuff in the green container!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place butter in a 13x9 inch baking pan; place in oven to melt.
- Place onions in baking pan; toss in butter.
- Roast 10 minutes.
- Whisk in sour cream, concentrated chicken broth, garlic, basil and crushed red pepper.
- Place chicken evenly in the pan; spoon onions and broth mixture over each breast half.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover pan with foil; bake until chicken is almost done, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions until just tender, drain.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the spinach, linguine, parmesan, salt and pepper to the sauce; toss well.
- Place chicken on top of pasta-spinach mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, to heat through, about 10 minutes.