Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
If you like Indian food, you'll love this. These are really simple to make and taste great. A fantastic way to use up leftover chicken. You can make one large pie with this or I get about 4 or 5 individual ones, just depends on which size pie tray you use. These also freeze well after baking.
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 -4 teaspoons curry paste (Indian Korma style)
- 50 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk or 2 teaspoons dry coconut powder
- 1⁄4 cup canned water chestnut, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Place onon and chilli in a microwave safe jug with the curry paste and butter.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and stir well, microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, microwave for another 2 minutes and then stir in the coconut milk.
- Microwave for another one minute or until thick.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, chicken and coriander and allow to coool.
- Line pie trays with pastry, and fill pastry cases with cooled filling.
- Make a lid for each pie out of pastry and secure to the top of each pie gently pressing the edges together.
- At this stage you can glaze the pie tops with milk or egg wash if you like to help them brown.
- Bake at 180.C for approx 40 mins or until pastry is firm and golden brown.
- Wait for them to cool slightly before turning out. Enjoy!
Made for Recipe Swap Fall #10 We loved it! I decided to use the puff pastry only on top...I will definitely be making this again.
I never thought of putting Indian food in a pie before, but I'm glad you did. The flavors were definite but not too strong, the puff pastry the perfect crust. I used Recipe #95907 and Recipe #31504 for this. Thanks for posting.