Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Similar to the Chinese restaurant but a lot easier to make, chicken is not breaded but still tastes good to me.
- 78.07 ml tamari soy sauce
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 29.58 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 59.16 ml hoisin sauce
- 78.07 ml honey
- 29.58 ml rice wine vinegar
- 907.18 g chicken breasts, cubed
- 8 dried red peppers
- 473.18 ml broccoli, chopped
- 236.59 ml carrot, sliced
- 473.18 ml cooked rice, steamed
- In crock pot add tamari, garlic, ginger, hoisin, honey and rice vinegar mixing well.
- Add chicken and red peppers stirring well.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add broccoli and carrots and cook for 1 hour longer.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Delicious sauce! Reminded us a little of chicken adobo (Filipino dish) but with a sweet/spicy kick. I didn't have enough hoisin, so I added sesame oil, extra vinegar, and rice wine. I was also out of carrots so I used dried mushrooms. I cooked it on low, but the chicken was done after 2 hours, so the total cooking time was only 3 hours. Next time I'll add the broccoli after the first hour, so the chicken doesn't dry out. Since the cooking time is so short, I guess the same effect could be achieved on the stovetop. Or else maybe my crockpot is just too hot!