Recipe by Shawn C
While digging through the pantry I threw this together and thus a new favorite dish was born. This can stretch a few ingredients to feed the family. Try and you will agree this is a dish you will feel good about serving to friends as well. Blackened Chicken Penne has a ingredient list for making your own blackeining seasonings if you wish
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced in thin medallions (or dice small to stretch further)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon blackening seasoning (I prefer Paul Prudhomme redfish magic)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon blackening seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh if you prefer)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup fresh spinach (leaves cut in half)
- 3 cups mini penne pasta, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- season chicken well with blackening seasoning.
- in heavy skillet heat to med- high. add 1 T of butter and 1 T olive oil.
- cook chicken until just done about 6-8 minutes and remove to a plate.
- add mushrooms to skillet and 1 T butter.
- cook mushrooms until they start to brown, add garlic and cook no more than 2 minutes being careful not to scorch the garlic.
- add tomatoes, basil, blackening season and red pepper flakes.
- let cook for 5-6 minutes until most of the tomato liquid is gone.
- add cream and turn down the heat to medium and let cook for 5-6 minutes. taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- sprinkle parmesan over and stir until well combined, add green onions.
- return chicken to mixture and let cook 5 more minutes.
- add pasta and spinach and stir to coat cook 2 minutes or until pasta is heated through.