Recipe by PickyEater
From the Columbus Dispatch (1/12/05), submitted by Shannon Patke.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
This was a quick, tasty and filling dinner. Onion isn't listed in the ingredients but it's in the instructions, so I diced one small red onion. I used assorted mini bell peppers (red, orange, yellow) and upped the quantities (except the cheese--I used sharp cheddar) so I baked it in a rectangular 9x13 casserole dish. We didn't have sour cream but it was great without it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (24 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 6 corn tortillas, halved
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper, onions, and garlic and cook (stirring occasionally) until the vegetables are tender (2-3 minutes).
- Add chicken and cook (stirring frequently) until the chicken is no longer pink (about 3-5 minutes).
- Stir in salsa and olives.
- Layer half the tortillas in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish.
- Top with half the chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream.