Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
DH and I watched Paula Deen make these today and he's anxious for me to try them now! These were served at Paula's surprise 60th birthday party. Using a rotisserie chicken from the deli and refrigerated pie crust for the dough are great shortcuts.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, picked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- prepared pie dough
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- peanut oil, for fryer
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium saute pan; add onions, green chiles, jalapenos, garlic and cumin and saute until onions are translucent.
- In large bowl combine chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Add the onion-chili mixture and mix. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using a 4-inch ring mold (biscuit cutter), cut circles from prepared pie dough. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in center of dough. Brush egg wash around circumference of the dough. Fold top half over to form a half circle. Seal with the tines of a fork.
- Heat a deep-fryer to 325 degrees with peanut oil. Submerge a few empanadas into oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.