DH and I watched Paula Deen make these today and he's anxious for me to try them now! These were served at Paula's surprise 60th birthday party. Using a rotisserie chicken from the deli and refrigerated pie crust for the dough are great shortcuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, picked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- prepared pie dough
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- peanut oil, for fryer
- 1Heat vegetable oil in a medium saute pan; add onions, green chiles, jalapenos, garlic and cumin and saute until onions are translucent.
- 2In large bowl combine chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Add the onion-chili mixture and mix. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 3Using a 4-inch ring mold (biscuit cutter), cut circles from prepared pie dough. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in center of dough. Brush egg wash around circumference of the dough. Fold top half over to form a half circle. Seal with the tines of a fork.
- 4Heat a deep-fryer to 325 degrees with peanut oil. Submerge a few empanadas into oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Chicken Empanadas (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (1373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.9
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.8 mg
- Sodium 320.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 22.7 g